So, I’m doing my first official coasterthon, and I’m getting ready to endure 8 to 9 hours of coaster thrills, and it is for a good cause – Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta. As a perfectionist, thrill enthusiast, and challenge-seeker, I’m anxious and ready for this opportunity. I will endure no matter what, for that is the Marine in me. With that said, it is best to get prepared and to do so early on, so Brad Mahan offered up some great tips for anybody looking to ride roller coasters all day long!
- Drink Plenty of Water – Water is your friend. Sure, you might feel the need to cut back on your water intake if you worry that you’ll have to run to the bathroom often, but that shouldn’t be your top worry, especially during warmer days. The sun will be beaming down on you, and you will start to sweat out a lot of the water that you take in, so you want to be sure that you stay hydrated. Of course, it is a good idea to start drinking more water as early as possible. It is always a good idea to drink plenty of water, so make this a reason to make it a habit. Lastly, start drinking more water early in the week leading up to the event and not just on the day of!
- Get Rest – Your body will want and need some rest, especially leading up to the event. Sure, the excitement that builds before such a challenge is great, but you have to be disciplined and get your rest the night before. If you do not get your rest, your Coasterthon experience won’t be quite so kind. A tired body first thing in the morning [as you hop on a coaster for nine hours] is not pleasing, so you definitely don’t want to make this mistake!
- Use Sunscreen – Sunscreen is your friend. It is best to put on a good amount of sunscreen on before you get going for the day. Ideally, use waterproof sunscreen that has a high SPF rating! Then, reapply it throughout the day… even if your sunscreen claims to last all day long! It is always best to be safe than sorry; the sunburn will not be fun!
- Eat Light & Clean – It is ideal to keep some food in your stomach, but it is best to ensure that you don’t eat that greasy cheeseburger the morning of the event. Keep the foods solid and don’t over stuff yourself. Keep in mind that the roller coaster will be shaking you around all day long! Also, keep a few mints and a bag of peanuts in your pocket just in case – mints help when your stomach feels upset, and salted peanuts will help retain some water and fight any headaches you might experience!
- Wear Eye Protection – If you are riding a roller coaster all day long, you’ll probably go around and around more than 100 laps on the track. As you can imagine, dust and dirt will be in the air, and your eyes will not be thrilled halfway through the event. So, take the time to pick up some sunglasses with a cord on the end (to wrap around your neck so they do not fall off). Otherwise, your eyes will have a greater chance of drying up on you; pain in your eyes is never fun. Similarly, if you wear contacts, maybe you should switch to glasses for the day!
- Stretch Before – You will want to make sure your muscles are loosened up and ready to roll! Stretch in the morning and prepare your mind for the upcoming thrills.
- Don’t Ride Stiff – Keep your body loose and relax during the ride, especially at the beginning. The roller coaster is safe, so let it take you for the ride! If you stiffen up and hold on super tight, your body will tire very quickly, and you will likely not be able to complete the entire Coasterthon challenge!
So, there you have it – the top 7 tips for your Coasterthon challenge. Did I miss any tips? Have you tried a Coasterthon before? I’d love to hear all about it. Thanks again to Brad for sharing his expertise! Also, I will be sure to report back on Friday’s Experience!